Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Tomato 'Can Style' Soup

It is so ironic that I found this and that it is so close to the real thing. I have a couple that comes regularly to my cooking classes at the health food store where I work. And they were looking for a tomato soup that tasted like the one they use to eat when they ate a terrible diet that included canned soup (pure garbage, all of them). And here I have found it. Is it 100% identical? Nope, but it is so close that I am truly in love. So let's get to the recipe and see what you all think. And with us in full swing of soup season, this will fit right in.

1-8oz can tomato sauce
2 cups non-dairy milk (unsweetened)
1 T cornstarch or flour
1 t crushed red pepper flakes
2T catsup
1 t onion powder
1 t chives or oregano
Salt and pepper to taste (about 1/3 t salt and just a splash of pepper)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Milk all ingredients together in a pot. Whisk constantly while you bring it to a boil. Then quickly bring it back down. Do not stop stirring, for it may spill over. Keep a close eye on it.

The catsup is what makes this dish. And you could make a thinner soup and use water instead...but why would you? I love a thick creamy soup. And if you want a thicker soup, make sure that you use cornstarch instead of flour. They both work well, but the cornstarch will definitely give it a bit more thickness.

And you might think to cut back on the pepper flakes, but don't for if you do, then you will need to increase the salt, and you do not want to do that. I grind fresh pepper in my bowl and not into the soup directly. But do what works for you. And remember, Make...eat...enjoy!

No comments: