Sunday, May 3, 2009

Move Over Bugs Bunny

If you haven't figured it out by now, this post will be related to carrots. I needed some carrot pulp for my marinara post and there was plenty to keep. And I knew I wanted to make carrot cake, but a bit healthier. So where did I go? I yeah, How it all Vegan. Once again these ladies...Tanya Barnard and Sarah Kramer have a splendid book. Retro look and simple recipes can keep you up to your eyeballs in new food and comfort food as well. I proved that today by making brownies and now a carrot cake.

I did make one tiny boo boo though, but easily rectifiable. I made it in a loaf pan, which is usually where I bake my banana nut bread, but I now see I need a cake pan like thee instructions dictated. But no worries, I just added 10 minutes to the bake time and Viola!

1&1/2 cups flour (we used unbleached)
3/4 cup dry sweetener(we used raw sugar)
2 t baking powder
1 t cinnamon
1/4 t salt
3/4 cup soy milk (we used almond)
2 t vanilla extract
1/4 cup canola oil (we will use this until it if done then buy it no more)
egg replacer (equal to 1 egg) (we used 3T applesauce)
1/2 cup carrot, finely shredded(we used pulp from juiced carrots)
1 t fresh ginger, grated
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Preheat oven to 350 F. In a large bowl, stir together the flour, sweetener, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt. Add the milk, vanilla, oil, egg replacer, carrot, and ginger and mix together gently until 'just mixed,' Pour into a lightly oiled pan and bake fro 25-30 minutes. Check with a knife to see if done. When cooled, you can ice if you choose to, we did not.

WOW!, again. I am in a domestic mood today. And my family reaps the benefits. And I am in the process of cooking a lentil curry stew in the slow cooker, so keep your eyes peeled for the results of that dish.

This carrot cake is to die for. It is not as dark as the one you are use to, but who cares, for this sis so darned good. Yowser!

No comments: