Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Wheat Berry Salad

I thought I had posted this one, but I cannot seem to find it. This recipe I found just by searching thee Internet and did not bookmark where I found it. As I have said before I try to give credit where credit is due, but this is one of those times that I completely goofed. With that said, I would like to post this salad for all those who do use whole grains, but think you can only grind them in to flour. Oh no no no, my little darlings. What we have here is another way to use those lovely little jewels. We made this salad only once and classified it as a tweaker, but alas we have not tweaked it since that day. This could be the push I need to retry this salad.

It is not a raw salad, but definitely a whole food salad and that my dear friends is second best. Why buy pre-packaged salads when it only takes a few moments to chop up a green, toss it in a bowl and add your own homemade dressing. Brilliant I say (insert evil scientist laugh here). I am one for using ingredients that are not all freaky and whacky, so this salad fits into that category. Try this one, and let me know what you think.

1 cup hard winter wheat berries (wheat kernels/grain)
Kosher salt (we used sea salt)
1 cup finely diced red onion (this adds such great color, that we now make sure red onion is on every produce list)
6T good olive oil, divided
2T balsamic vinegar
3 scallions, minced, white and green parts
1/2 red bell pepper, small diced
1 carrot, small diced
1/2 t freshly ground black pepper
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Place the wheat berries and 3 cups of boiling water in a sauce pan and cook, uncovered over low heat for approximately 45 minutes, or until the wheat berries are soft. Drain.

Saute the red onion in 2 T olive oil over medium-low heat until translucent, approximately 5 minutes. Turn off heat and add the remaining 4 T of olive oil and the balsamic vinegar.

In a large bowl, combine the warm wheat berries, sauteed onions, scallions, red bell pepper, carrot, 1/2 t salt and the pepper. Allow the salad to sit for at least 30 minutes (very important!) for the wheat berries to absorb the sauce. Season to taste and serve at room temperature.

I have always loved room temperature salads over chilled ones. I personalty think it is better for the digestive tract, but that is my opinion. Try this and see what you think.

No comments: