Thursday, February 12, 2009

Ginger Tomato Dressing

Inasmuch as my last post complained about The Food Network, it does have some redeeming qualities. I snag dressing recipes, dessert, side dishes and such forth. Mr. Cooking Lady was watching the TV with me yesterday and on popped Robin Miller. Now, I do like her strategy in the fact that she plans ahead. She will bake veggies, or chicken and bulk and use it throughout the week. So for working women who still want to cook with whole foods, she is your answer.

She was make this basic salad, but her dressing was a tomato base. My husband called from work, which happens to be in the produce department and he closed, so he called to see what we needed for that dressing recipe. I told him and home they came.

So for lunch today we made the dressing, but what was even better was the salad itself. We used raw greens. Now, you may be thinking, most salads are greens. And I will give you your DUH moment, but I took it a step further. After watching the raw food DVD, and those girls used all sorts of raw greens, I said, 'Why the heck not us?' Low and behold, we had a salad of raw collards, green kale and iceberg. That was all. And man oh man, it rocked the house. Whoa!! So try this dressing and put it on anything your little heart desires. Enjoy...we did!


Ingredients
1 large plum tomato, seeds squeezed out, roughly chopped
1/4 cup chopped oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes (we had them with no oil and re-hydrated our own in 1/8 cup of oil
1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
2 garlic cloves, peeled
1 to 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
1/2 cup water (plus 2-3 T, play with it)
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
6 cups washed mixed greens (any combination of romaine, red leaf, Bibb, Boston lettuce, mustard greens, spinach)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Directions
In a blender, combine tomato, sun-dried tomatoes, ginger, garlic, and vinegar. Process until finely chopped. Add water, salt, and pepper and puree until smooth.
Divide greens evenly among 4 salad plates and spoon dressing over top.

This should be a dressing that is not overly thick or overly thin. But you be the judge in your home. Go with what works. But this one is a keeper and I am pleased to announce that I am finally building my arsenal of dressings.

2 comments:

River (Wing-It Vegan) said...

Hey, I have an idea! Why don't you start your own "The Cooking Lady Show"? I'll watch faithfully every day! :)

Chef Chuck said...

My Son and I will love this Dressing!
Thanks for sharing.