Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Ginger Snaps

You ever have a recipe that you would love to master, but for some odd reason, you just never got around to it, or it just fell by the wayside? Well here is just such a recipe. I have always enjoyed ginger snaps. But as I have gotten older, I knew there was something better than what came out of a bag. And yet I never pursued the recipe with any sort of vengeance. I made a few recipes here and there, along the way...until tonight.

Bar none, these are the best ginger snap cookies I have ever eaten. Loved the ingredient list, for those are all things we keep in our pantry. all the way down to the prunes. My son loves them. Always has, and hopefully always will. The girls over at Greener Eating have this glorious recipe that I am now sharing with all you folks.

I don't remember how I found this blog, but they are a joy to read and their recipes look fantastic. Trust me when I say I will be trying out some of the things thy have posted about, and you will see my results right here.

2 cups whole wheat flour (we used spelt flour)
1t cinnamon
1t cloves
1t ginger
1/4-1/2t salt
1/2 t baking soda
1/4 cup prunes + 2T(we pureed our own)
1 cup succanat(we used raw sugar)
1&1/2 T water
1/4 cup molasses
Sugar for dipping
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a small-medium bowl, mix sugar, prunes, molasses, and water. Add. Add the spices, then add the flour. Refrigerate the dough for a few hours, but can go as long as overnight. I held out only for 2 hours. Roll the dough into balls and dip into dipping sugar. Flatten the cookie in your hand and place on greased cookie sheet. I found the dough to be extremely sticky, so I would suggest a small bowl of water to dip your hands into to keep the dough from sticking to your hands. Bake at 350 for 10-15 minutes.

They will be a bit soft when you take them out of thee oven, but they firm up quite nicely and get them to a cool wire/rack just as you scoop them off the cookie sheet.

I will definitely be making this little gems again, and again, and again.

No comments: