Monday, April 26, 2010

Move Over Mayo

Well another one bites the dust. And no, that is not a line form one of Queen's songs. But oh what a group. You are sorely missed Freddy Mercury. Anyhow, on to better things. I have been toying with thee idea of going vegan and am in that process as we speak. As soon as I find alternatives to dishes, condiments, and what not in the world of food, I lose thee old food and in comes the new one.

To say that I am addicted to mayonnaise, is an understatement. And I have to be honest, I have been cutting back recently. So much so that I went form buying a quart of mayo at a time to purchasing a pint sized jar this last shopping trip.

Well, I then remembered Sarah Kramer's (of How It All Vegan) recipe with tofu being the meat (pun completely intended) of this recipe. I am learning to use tofu and in more ways than I could ever have imagined. With that said, today was shopping day and soft tofu was on the list. Knowing good and well that was the version needed for the new mayo recipe. Today was a blitz of new recipes, but this one I somehow knew I would like. And you might look at the ingredients and think you will like a dish, but that is not always the case. But in this one, it was divine. Thee only thing I found a bit unusual was the tartness from the lemon juice. Do not get me wrong, I am a lover of anything involving lemon, but this was just a smidgen too much. I will work out the kins and get it right, but this will be the last conventional jar of mayo that comes into my home. Make this and know egg yolks are no longer needed to slather on to a slice of bread.

3/4 cup soft tofu
2T lemon juice or vinegar (we used lemon juice)
1/2 t salt
dash of pepper
2T oil (we used olive)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
In a blender or food processor, blend together (on high speed) the tofu, lemon juice, salt, pepper, and oil until thick and creamy. Store in refrigerator in a clean, dry container with a tight-fitting lid. Will keep for 7-10 days. Makes about 1&1/2 cups.

No comments: