Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Glazed Honey Bars

My daughter has a sweet tooth, and she openly admits this. I however am more a salty person, Want to know how I know? Well I used love White Russians, which are sweet and creamy, now a Dirty Martini is more my style. But I can't even remember when I had one last. Anyhow, on to more pressing issues...like food.

I am now thee official Raw Food class person at Nutrition S'Mart. And yes, I am learning right along with my students. I love cooking, but this raw stuff is still new to me, but man oh man am I having a blast. To date, I have not made a dish I have not fallen in love with and for many different reasons. For one, the ease. I taught a class last night and thee only kitchen gadgets I took were: 1) Food processor 2) Cutting Board 3) Knife) Citrus Juicer *manual* 4) Bowl and Spoon for dish, so technically this does not count.

Hello, how simple is that. Heck, if not for my purse I could have carried all of those item in with only my hands. I decided at nearly the last minute which dish I was to make and it cam out grand, but that has already been posted. What I want folks to know is that I am still on a journey, and I am not some super duper extremely perfect person eating perfect dishes. Hence this recipe. My daughter found this via The Food Network and it is from Paula Deen. Need I say anymore?

Granted, we make it as healthy as we possibly can, but there are times that you just are stuck with a decadent dish. Whether it be a salad or a dessert. These were so good, that there were none to be put in a left-over container and be put in the fridge. Make these, they are ooey and gooey, but for a treat they are perfect.

2/3 cup vegetable oil (for baking we only use coconut oil now)
1/8 cup honey(if not honey, then use agave)
1/2 sugar(we use raw)
1 egg(tofu or flax seeds are great in place of eggs)
1t ground cinnamon
1 cup self rising flour(I know my daughter used unbleached white, use what you have)
1/2 cup chopped walnuts(so that's what was missing, my daughter does not like nuts in her desserts)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Glaze:
1 cup confectioners' sugar
1T mayonnaise
1T milk (we use almond, soy or rice)
1t vanilla extract
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease an 8x8 pan. In a mixing bowl, beat the oil honey, granulated sugar and egg until well blended. Stir the cinnamon into the flour, then stir this into thee egg mixture and mix well. Stir in the nuts. Spread the batter in the prepared pan and bake for 25-30 minutes.

Remove from the oven and let stand while you are making the glaze. In a bowl, stir together the confectioners' sugar, mayonnaise, milk, and vanilla. Pour glaze over the cake and spread it with a spatula(Paula says spatuler. I love her accent). Let cool, then cut into bars.

Man were these ever good, but I could only eat these in small pieces or only one. And we all admitted that the glaze made them too sweet. See what becoming healthy does to you? Even making things from scratch and you find them too sweet. This is obviously not a dish you eat every day but once in a while is fine. Make substitutions that make it healthier and then serve it to friends, they will love you. And it is simple stupid to make...in the famous words of Paula herself.

No comments: