Sunday, May 16, 2010

How to make a Green Smoothie

Well I have finally taken the dive and started to make green smoothies. And yet, I have not purchased a high-powered blender. I am using my nearly 30 year old Hamilton Beach blender. So, until I can see my way to get a Vita-Mix or Blendtec, I will probably only be able to make green smoothies with spinach. For it is thee easiest green to pulverize.

Do not get me wrong, they are still extremely delicious. I go through about 1 bag of spinach a day. My recipe makes about 1 quart and I split that with hubby. So, we are not getting the 15 veggies she is touting about in this video, but heck if I am only getting 7 in my 1/2 quart...I can live with that. Can any of you say that you even come close to getting 7 a day of fresh fruit and vegetables, let alone 15.

I will eventually work my way up to 1 quart a day, but I love how they taste, and each green smoothie is nothing like the one I made the day before. So I use what I have and deal with it. I did however, purchase a bag of frozen fruit to be able to add to my smoothies in case I run out of my surplus of frozen bananas.

It was not as difficult as I though to make and or drink these luscious little drinks. They go down smooth and I look forward to the day that I do not have to split my quart with my hubby.

No comments: