Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Faux Egg Salad

This was made on a whim and spur of the moment type night. I am so not a wing it person, and my cookbooks are always close at hand. I had 2 tubs of tofu that I needed to get used up. So I skimmed through my How it All Vegan and Viola, up popped this faux egg salad recipe. All I can say is, my-oh-my. This is definitely a keeper. Just one more reason to buy a tub of tofu.

1lb medium tofu, mashed (we used firm)(please remember to squeeze out the excess water first)
1/2 cup soy mayo (we make our own with this recipe)
4T chopped parsley
1/4 cup relish (we used sweet relish)
1&1/2 T prepared mustard *We like Ba-Tampte. It is thee best mustard on the planet*
1-2 stalks green onion, chopped
2 stalks celery, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced (I put mine through a press)
1&1/2 t salt
1/4 t turmeric
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Ina medium bowl, mash the tofu with your hands (I used a potato masher) or fork and add the remaining ingredients. Mix together well and chill before serving. (We had to get dinner on the table and it was still fine served immediately) Makes 2-4 servings.

Wow, this was so good that my husband prefers this one over my fake tuna salad. And I would have to agree with him. And this was so close to the real thing that my daughter would not eat it. Scary, huh??

No comments: