Sunday, May 23, 2010

Where Do You Get Your Protein?

I teach raw cooking classes every month at our local health food store. As I explore the raw food aspect of eating I am discovering so many new things. And I am also learning as I go along. That is what is so wonderful about what I do. I can teach and learn at the same time. And the people in my lovely audience do not seem to care. For we all know that eating healthier is a no-brainer. So just do it, as Nike says.

But it takes me by surprise that even in this day and age, I still get asked this question, 'Where do you get your protein?' And sometimes, I have to think about it, for, to me, it is ingrained that I get mine from sources other than an animal, that I no longer even think about it. But I am learning that omnivores are still being led to believe that you 'NEED' to eat your meat. Wrong. And thee only people who benefit from you consuming so much protein, are 3 people and they are...1) The cattle industry, 2) Your cardiologist, 3) Your pharmacist.

With that said, if you suddenly got all better and no longer needed drugs or your doctor, the balance of our society would be greatly altered. So I have put together some cut little answers/come-backs to the people who still find it necessary to ask the standard vegetarian question, 'Where do you get your protein?'

1) Where do I get my protein?
a) Same place meat does...greens!

2) How are you supposed to gain muscle if you do not eat meat?
a) Let's go ask an elephant, rhino, gorilla...shall I go on?

3) How potent is your protein from your plant based foods?
a) 100 calories of steak is 5.4 grams of protein. 100 calories of broccoli is 11.2, you do the math.

4) Aren't you protein deficient?
a) No one has even been diagnosed with protein deficiency, but, you can consume too much protein. The average American on a SAD (Standard American Diet) consumes, on average around 100 grams of protein a day. But all thee average American needs is around 30 grams.

Now For Some Did You Knows

Green vegetables are about 1/2 protein, 1/4 carbs and 1/4 fat.

Animal protein promotes every type of cancer in rats.

The amount of animal protein consumption in china is directly correlated to cancer incidences. Read, 'The China Study', you will understand.

All animal protein is devoid of fiber.

So, after you give an omnivore any or all of these answers, turn to them and politely ask, 'Where do you get your fiber?'

No comments: