Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Hidden MSG

I will never forget the first time I heard those three letters. I was still in high school and was a waitress at Denny's. A man came to sit at the counter and wanted to order a bowl of the days soup. But he asked me if there was MSG in it, for he was allergic to MSG. I promptly went to one of the cooks on duty and asked him. Looking back now I relaize that he most more than likely did not know himself, unless he had a container the soup came in sitting right in front of him.

Once I learned what MSG it hit me that my grandmother used it All-The-Time. Why do I know this. Well she was a frequent user of the product Accent. And get this, she laso loved her salt shaker. But, she did have a viable argement for using said products. Every time she went for her check-up, other than her weight, her blood pressuer, cholesterol and everything else connected to hyper-tension was not there. So in her mind, why give it up if there have been no reprecussions. I have to agree, but not with the MSG thing, that stuff is just wrong. I say we start a anti-MSG campaign, or group, or something.

But on to the point of this post.

I was reading a small snippet in a little magazine that you can most more than likely find in your local grocery store, or health food store or somehting related to health. The magazine is called: delicious living

And here is what the snippet said about MSG. And darned these companies for hiding and lying to us about hidden ingredients. *&#!!$^) companies.

The food additive monosodium glutamate, or MSG, is linked to migraine headaches and hyperactivity in children. If you see hydrolyzed in an ingredients list, the product contains MSG. Watch for the following terms, which also signal MSG.

*autolyzed yeast
*calcium caseinate
*gelatin
*glutamate
*glutamic acid
*hydrolized corn gluten
*hydrolized protein, such as wheat, soy, or vegetable protein
*monopotassium glutamate
*sodium caseinate
*textured protein

Well there you have it folks. Now it will be my job to get in touch with some of the companies I still purchase processed products form to see if they do inject their foods with derivatives of MSG or not. But if this keeps up then I will soon have nothing from a box in my pantry. This is getting to be a wee bit more difficult that I thought. Guess I will have to rethink, once again how I will be cooking and or planning out our meals.

No comments: