Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Spicy Oatmeal Raisin Cookies

You can all start thanking Sarah Kramer for this recipe. Once again she has pulled through and given us a wonderful, yet simple recipe to make and then eat. My daughter makes her chocolate chip cookies all the time, but you can only eat chocolate cookies so much. I have been telling her it was time to cook outside her box, but she dragged her feet on this. And I was out of commission due to 2 days of migraines. But I came back with a vengeance. I was all over these oatmeal cookies at 7:30 AM. Yep, no moss grows under these feet chickies. So saddle up and break out your spices for you will be needin' them in this here recipe.

2 cups rolled oat flakes
1 cup flour (we used our own ground whole wheat)
1/2 t salt
1 t baking soda
1 t cinnamon
1 t nutmeg
1 t ground ginger
1 t cumin
1/2 t dried cardamon (we did not have this spice)
1/2 t pepper
dash of Cayenne
1 banana, mashed
1/2 cup dry sweetener
2 T oil (we used coconut)
1 cup sour soy milk (we used almond) milk + 1 t vinegar)
3/4 cup raisins
1/2 cup chocolate chips or carob chips (we did not use these and they are optional)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. In large bowl stir together the oat flakes, flour, salt, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, ground cinnamon, cardamon, pepper, and Cayenne. Add the mashed banana, sweetener, oil, sour milk, raisins and chocolate chips to the oat mixture and mix together gently until 'just mixed.' Scoop spoon-sized portions onto a lightly oiled cookie sheet and bake for 8-10 minutes. Makes 6 large or 12 small.

I don't know what portions that girlie is using, but I measure mine out with a tablespoon measure, and we get almost double thee amount she has suggested. These were to die for and what a great blend of spices. Wowzer! Simple, easy and vegan...who knew!?

1 comment:

Chile said...

Mmm, those sound good. I no longer have my copy the the Laurel's Kitchen cookbook, although I did copy out my favorite recipes from it.