Thursday, June 28, 2012

Blender Waffles

I love waffles. To say that I do would be an understatement. With that said, a dear girlfriend of mine had introduced me to Sue Gregg a few years back. It is her recipe that I use to bake my bread from scratch. This woman also has many a books when it comes to baking. Visit her website and see.


I had long wanted to make waffles, but had relied entirely on my daughter to make them, for she made them so wonderfully, that I did not want to mess with perfection. But of late her schedule has not allowed her to laze around in the morning and willy nilly make waffles. So, while making bread the other day I thought I might take a gander around my bread making book and just see if this woman had a generic waffle batter recipe. Low and behold she did. Thee only thing I have altered was that I eliminated the usage of an egg. But it was optional to begin with and they came out fine and dandy.


Now, I do know that she has specific books about baking specific things, so I just may have to purchase those books. But in the mean time, I will use the recipe I found until said time. 


A word of warning for this recipe. If you do not have a high powered blender, you will not be able to make this recipe. I am sorry for this for I try to make eating healthy, something that everyone should have access to, but this will not apply here. Again my apologizes. With that said, let's get down to business...shall we?


1&1/2-1&3/4 cups buttermilk (fruit juice or water can be used)
2T olive oil (or any oil you have on hand)
1t vanilla extract
1 cup uncooked RAW brown rice + 1/2 cup uncooked rolled oats
1/2t baking soda
1t salt
2t baking powder
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Heat your waffle iron to its highest setting. Place the first four ingredients into the blender and run on high for 4 minutes, until smooth. The secret to this batter is its thinness. When it is in your blender, the batter should be forming a tornado/hurricane style vortex. If it does not, then your batter is too thick.


After you have blended then add the last 3 ingredients just before you begin baking your waffles. Pour just enough batter to fill each well in the waffle iron. Set the timer for 4 minutes and then perfection will ensue. 


These were very crisp on thee outside and tender on thee inside. We will make these again for sure. A definite keeper. Make...eat...enjoy!

No comments: