Sunday, December 30, 2012

Really Good Soup

I found this recipe like I find most of mine, either through books I have, whether they be brand new or from some place like a flea market, garage sale, or the reduced section at your local library. Scour these places folks, there are treasures EVERYWHERE!

This book was actually given to me by a friend who was cleaning out her closet and definitely not a vegetarian. The title is The Farm-Vegetarian Cookbook Revised Edition. This is a community in Tennessee that is for the most part, a commune. Oh man, what I would not give to live in a community of vegans. I wold be in hog heaven (pun completely intended). But on to this recipe.

I look at recipe sometimes, and mostly when I am in a pinch for time and see if I have all thee ingredients. Whamo, the cooking begins. Well, this was one of those recipes. I hope you like it. My husband said it reminded him of the chicken soup that his mother use to make. High praise, for my mother-in-law is a great cook.

1/2 cup onion, chopped
1 T oil
5 cups boiling water
1 t salt
1/4 t black pepper
1/4 t celery seed
1/4 cup dry TVP
1 t liquid aminos
1/2 cup nutritional yeast
1/2 T vegan butter
1-1&1/2 cups cooked brown rice
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Saute onion in the oil until soft. Bring the water to boil and add salt, black pepper, celery seed, TVP, and liquid aminos. Turn down immediately and add onion. Simmer for 5 minutes. Then add the nutritional yeast, vegan butter, and rice.

This soups is so simple that is scares me. This would also do well in a slow cooker once it is cooked through. The longer it sites, the better it tastes. Great when you are feeling sick or on a cold night. Get a great slab of bread or crackle some saltines on this and go for it. And remember, as always, make...eat...enjoy.

No comments: