Saturday, January 5, 2013

Sweet & Sour Dressing

I love finding a good bargain. And today I did. I visit flea markets, garage sales and the withdrawn section of the local library. You never now when a little gem will turn up. I was at my local flea market and they have an extensive used book section from the local county library. And they have the place nicely sectioned off. So even within the cookbook section I was able to go right to the vegetarian section. I looked through every one of them and found only one that I wanted to take home. It was only $1, so even if I got it home and hated it, I only spent a dollar and even then it was going to a good cause.

I only skimmed through the booklet and saw a few I could already use. The book was published in 1987, but if I feel the need I will make them a bit healthier, but so far so good. This is a simple recipe and here is where my DUH moment happened. I think of myself to be a decently bright person, not super intelligent, but bright. I have been racking my brain on different containers that I can store my from scratch dressings in. Then it hit me. I have tons of mason jars in my patio. Some are pint sized and others are quart sized. I saw this recipe and used on of the pint sized ones and it is a match made in heaven. So now on to the recipe.

2-3 T sugar (I used granulated)
1 t dry mustard
1/2 t salt
1/2 celery seeds
1&1/2 t minced onion
1/4 cup white vinegar (We used rice vinegar)
1/2 cup oil
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Combine all thee ingredients in a jar. Cover and shake well until everything is combined. Chill and shake again. Serve over your favorite salad. I tested it before I put it on the table. It has such a good little zing. I will definitely makes this one again. And as always, make...eat...enjoy!

No comments: