Friday, May 3, 2013

Perfect Brown Rice

This post came out of desperation. What I mean by that is that I was scrambling to get dish together for my class this week. And, of course, I was wanting to do a dish for Cinco de Mayo and was failing terribly. Then I remembered how much I L-O-V-E the rice that Chipotle's serves. It is their cilantro lime rice. And I know there are variations on a theme, so I began to Google away. I found this truly simple recipe and thought how could I not try this and see how ti comes out. The worst that can happen is that I do not make it again. Best case scenario, it is a hit.

Trust me (I do say that quite a bit in my recipes) when I tell you that I will never make any style of brown rice any other way but this way. So let's quit with the chit-chat and get down to this recipe....shall we?

1 cup long rain brown rice (basmati, jasmine, or regular)
1 t oil or vegan butter
1/2 t sugar of choice
2&1/2 cups water
Juice from 2 limes
1/4 cup chopped cilantro
Salt and pepper to taste
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Heat frying pan to medium heat and add oil or butter. Add the rice and sugar and stir constantly until the rice is thoroughly coated. Add rice to cooking pot or rice cooker and cook as you normally do until rice is tender.

Once rice is finished cooking add lime juice and cilantro. Serve hot.

I loved this dish, but I know in my house we would add more lime juice and cilantro. But if you are not a lover of cilantro then cut it in half and substitute the other half with parsley. If you ABSOLUTELY have not lime juice then I guess you can you lemon juice, but I would not recommend it unless you have no option. Please make this and you will see, as I did that each and every rice grain falls off thee other ones. And remember, make...eat...enjoy!

No comments: