Saturday, December 13, 2008

Macaroni Wing It Thing

I am not a wing it person...sorry River, but I am now. But every once and a blue moon something tickles my fancy and Viola, I have a dish on the table. It is never when I am under pressure, just the opposite in fact. I do best when I have mucho time to think of things to cook.

Yesterday just such a day. I had been cooking beans by the bucketfuls...literally. And I had three different beans in the frig already cooked and ready to pounce into action to make that perfect dish. Whether it be a last minute necessity or a planned sou, salad or side dish. They were there for the taking. I had black beans, navy beans and chick peas. Well I was thinking of what to do with the left overs in ,y frig before they hit the garbage, which I try not to let happen, and we are getting better at using up most, if not all of our leftovers.

1/2 box 16 ounces of elbow macaroni
2-3T olive oil
1/2 large can whole tomatoes, chopped up, with juice
2-4 cloves garlic, almost minced
1/4-1/2 onion, chopped
1 cup cooked black beans, or any bean of choice, but black beans look so good
8 veggie hot dogs chopped into bite-sized pieces
1-2 cups broccoli florets (optional)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Cook elbows to directions on box. While elbows are cooking heat oil in large cooking pot. Add onions and garlic. Soften but do not burn garlic. Add chopped hotdogs until a slight brown, then add broccoli until there is still quite a crunch. Then add tomatoes, beans and stir everything until mixed. Once macaroni is cooked, drain and add to mixture.

I season my mixture with Paula Deen's House Seasoning. I don't leave home without it. Mix it until it heats through and serve with a salad and bread. Enjoy!

1 comment:

River (Wing-It Vegan) said...

That's awesome! You got to use up your leftovers AND you got to wing it! :D