Friday, September 11, 2009

Homemade Rice Milk

We are slowly but surely losing dairy products and processed foods in our home. The processed foods have been about 95% gone from our home for a while. But there are some products we still purchase, only due to the fact that we do not have recipes for them. I have one more to scratch off my list. Rice Milk.

Since entering the working world again, I have fallen behind on many things I use to do on a daily basis, like reading blogs. But when I do get a moment, I try to see what all you folks are cooking and see if they would fit into our diet and or lifestyle. Well this recipe came along at the right time. Heather, over at McDougalling with Chile & Friends posted this ever so simple recipe for rice milk. A whim recipe here is determined mostly by the fact of whether or not I have all thee ingredients. So, I set out to make this recipe and it came out fantastic.

I am going to post it here, but go take a look at Chile's blog, she has some really great recipes there. I recently tried one of her dressing recipes and it was great as well...another processed food I no longer purchase.


-Cook 1/2 cup of brown rice per package directions (typically 1 cup water and a dash of salt).
-Allow rice to cool.
-Fill blender with 4 cups of water, then add rice.
-Blend until water turns white and mixture is smooth (a minute or two).
-Pour into jars and refrigerate.
-Shake before using.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I did filter the pulp and I used it the next morning as a warmed/hot cereal. It was delicious. I added a touch of raw sugar along with some cinnamon and raisins and all was well at our breakfast table.

I think next time I will make more, save the pulp again and make either rice pudding or throw it in a soup. You can freeze the pulp as well and keep on freezing until you reach thee amount you need for said recipe. Make this recipe and use the milk. To this day I am not a milk drinker, but this will definitely go into many recipes we make. Enjoy, and thank you Heather!!!!

No comments: