Wednesday, September 23, 2009

I Love My Grains

I just got me delivery of grains. And for me it is like Christmas morning. This order I got an entire bucket of soft white and split a bucket of garbanzo beans and a bucket of brown rice with Denise Punger . She got other items that I will definitely be putting on my next order. The one thing that caught my eye was the unsweetened coconut flakes. I know what I purchase In the store is loaded with sugar and I needed coconut, due to the fact that we were 100% out of it and the fact that we go through so much of it due to our homemade granola. So when I saw Denise's package of unsweetened coconut, I was very tempted to, yes, steal it.

And when I go to pick up our grains I get to see what others order and then my wheels begin to turn. The group we go through is Bread Beckers and all you have to do is find the group that is local to you and contact them, find out their schedule and you are in business. I like this group because it has quarterly deliveries and that is a good thing. But there is another group to go through that does not have deliveries as often and their order is usually on a semi rig. I know they need at least a 10,000 pound order before they can schedule a delivery and trust me that is not that difficult to get done. I had no idea there were that many of us out there...healthy folks I mean, who knew. I believe the company that hosts the big delivery is Montana Flour and Grains .

I will find out more information about Montana so you folks can look into hooking up to get in on a bigger order. I helped host one of their deliveries and it was thee most fun I had had in a long time. When that semi pulled up to the street where the delivery was taking place I felt like a school girl on her first day of school. I would love to be a part of that once again.

Buying bulk is definitely the way to go. I buy bulk whenever possible. Whether it be via a co-op or in the local health food store, bulk is cheaper and better for thee environment. Less packaging and less shopping miles, for if I have it I don't run out to get it on a whim.

So check out these places and I will give updates on Montana to make sure I put in the correct link.

No comments: