Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Scrambled Eggless Eggs

I have been toying with the idea of heading in the direction of veganism. And thus far I am not doing so bad. And we may have another push in that direction, thanks to my husband. We think he 'may' be lactose intolerant. But we won't know for sure until he eliminates it form his diet for the next few days, gets himself better then adds dairy and see what happens.

But I have been trying to lose eggs for a while now, and not doing all that bad I might add. But it was breakfast that had stumped me. Many a morning here, we would have home fries and eggs. And now that I sit here and think about it, I always added something to the scrambled eggs, because I had been forced to eat eggs as a child and had some seriously bad experiences connected to eggs. So for me to lose eggs in my diet was not a far reach for me. Good riddance I say. Hello tofu scramble.

With the help from Sarah Kramer, How It All Vegan. Yeah, it's her again, but look, I haven't use done of her recipes in a while, so it is her turn again. This was a wonderful comfort dish for me. The textures was nearly 100% dead on. the spices form this recipe were good, but now I have a base to experiment with. Variety is the spice of life. Don't be shy, for I will definitely be making this one again.

1/2 medium onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
splash of olive oil
1 pkg medium tofu(we used firm) crumbled
1/2 t turmeric
1/8 t cumin
2T Braggs (we used tamari)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
In a large saucepan, add the onions and garlic to a splash of olive oil and saute on medium-high heat until onions are translucent. Add tofu, turmeric, cumin, and Braggs and mix together. Saute on high heat for 5-10 minutes until tofu is slightly seared on one side. Stir and simmer on medium heat for 5-10 minutes until moisture has evaporated. Makes 2 or more servings. We got 3-4 servings. This one is a keeper!!

No comments: