Friday, January 9, 2009

Fattoush Salad

My husbands long lost family is from Syria. Very long story and I may post it one day. But for now, let me tell you the food they introduced me to, in 1992. We found them quite by accident, but have never looked back. So I have found this Middle Eastern site for dishes, and they are pretty darned close to what I remember eating up in Ohio. Check out the site and see what you can see. If you have any questions I will more than happy to help you guys in any way I can. But for now, here is my rendition of Fattoush salad.

2 or 3 tomatoes, cubed
1 small cucumber, peeled, quartered lengthwise, and chopped
5 scallions, chopped
1/2 small lettuce, shredded (my son prefers iceberg, but I have subbed with others)
2 Tbs. finely chopped parsley
1 Tbs. finely chopped fresh mint or 1 tsp. dried mint ( I have used more)
1 pita bread (or 2-3 slices of bread), toasted and cut into cubes (put this out to dry to get stale, then put it in the recipe)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
A dressing made from equal amounts of olive oil and lemon juice and seasoned with salt and black pepper. (Make plenty of dressing and store whatever you do not use in the fridge.) (I make this in the spot. I do not make enough to store, but you can)

Combine the vegetables, herbs, and bread. Make the dressing, pour it over the salad, toss well, and chill for 30-60 minutes before serving. For an authentic Arabic flavor, the dressing should be made of equal parts of oil and lemon juice. However, you may prefer to use more oil - perhaps two to three parts of oil to one of lemon juice. Serves 4 to 6.

In this house there is rarely any left overs, but know if you do keep it, it will be majorly soggy, but we could care less.

Here you go Denise!!!!!

1 comment:

Denise Punger MD IBCLC said...

Now, I remember you posting this when we were in co-op together. I added mint to my marinated salad today. It added a very nice taste. Next time I'l pay more attention to the 1:1 ratio.

When we have left overs Of marinated onions and cukes, its the one left over that john likes A LOT. I intentionally make more than we can use at once.