Monday, January 12, 2009

French Toast

Blah blah blah. How many more recipes can this woman post about? You have no idea. I had said to Savanah that I had wanted to try and make one new recipe a week. Well, we have gone above and beyond the call of duty here. We are on a roll and we ain't slowin' down just yet.

I somehow feel revitalized in the way I cook. We did get 2 vegan books for the holidays and we are diving in with a vengeance. My husband took the left over Stuff Shells to work with him, and he knew they were made with 'tofu' ricotta and he said he was hard pressed to say that it did not taste like the real deal. And he knew it going in and it still won him over. So imagine some poor soul who thinks a whopper is the meal of the century coming over and eating this dish.

But back to this post. My son, who could eat bread 3 meals a day 7 days a week...wait a minute, he does that already, could live on French Toast. Now, we already use our own homemade bread, but we wanted to lose the egg part, for we have already let go of the cow's milk in our home, so the next logical step would be eggs.

You have to remember, we used to buy 2 & 1/2 dozen eggs per week, yep, you read right. Now we barely go through 1 dozen. This was a delicious substitute to what we were already making. I had heard of Nutritional Yeast, but did not ever work with it. Easy Schmeazy, plus it added another small dimension to an already great classic breakfast. Enjoy...we did!

P.S. This was made on my new griddle which my children got me for my Birthday!

This recipe is taken from, "How it all Vegan"

1 & 1/2 cups soy milk (we used rice or almond)
2 T flour
1 T nutritional yeast
1 t sweetener (we used raw sugar)
1 t cinnamon
8-10 bread slices
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
In a large bowl, whisk together the milk, flour, yeast, sweetener, and cinnamon vigorously. Soak 1 slice of bread in batter until bread is gooey. Fry in a non-stick pan or a lightly oiled frying pan on medium heat until golden. Flip and fry other side. Repeat until batter is gone.

We were able to grill all slices at once on the new griddle. Life is good with a griddle!!

1 comment:

River (Wing-It Vegan) said...

You guys have been eating in style! I'm with your son, bring on the bread! :)