Friday, January 16, 2009

Fried Cauliflower

I love cauliflower. In any way shape of form. My fondest memories of raw cauliflower is my mother taking it, cutting up into florets and drizzling it with bottled French dressing. But I have stumbled across this great frien recipe. I know we do not need to be eating a lot of fried foods, but every once and a while I like to treat myself or of a craving comes my way. Nothing like a get set of french fries. Ooo, the list goes on. But I did come across this great Crunchy Cauliflower recipe, but I have no blessed clue how to even begin to veganize it. Any advice would be helpful.

Go visit Chuck and see what he has to offer.

Ingredients:
1/2 pound cauliflower
2 eggs
3/4 cup panko bread crumbs
1/2 parmigiano cheese
salt and pepper
canola oil for frying

Dip:
1/2 cup mayo
1/4 cup sour cream
1 tablespoon shallots
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
1/2 cup parmigiano cheese
1 teaspoon fresh parsley chopped
salt and pepper

Egg Mix:
2 eggs
1 tablespoon parmigiano
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper

Wash and remove core cut cauliflower into small florets. Dip into egg mixture, whisk eggs, parmigiano cheese, salt and pepper, then roll in bread crumbs on all sides. Fry in 350 degree oil till golden brown. This will take approximately 1 1/2 minutes . Place on paper towels and salt while hot. This appetizer is good for two. We however stretched it to three of us and there were no left overs.

We also did not make the dip. But I am in the market for a vegan Ranch style dressing for dipping things. So if anyone has a recipe out there, point me in the right direction.

1 comment:

Kathie Smith said...

I don't have a vegan ranch dressing, but I use Vegannaise and balsamic vinegar mixed as my all purpose dip. I do have a dill dip that I "veganed" that is pretty good as well - vegannaise and tofutti. Happy to share it if you want!
(found you through Veggie Tables)