Sunday, April 12, 2009

Southern Biscuits

Thank you Paula Deen, for being form the south, loving to be in the kitchen and have the best darned comfort foods form the south that I can usually veganize.

I have always wanted to make a good southern biscuit, but I know how difficult that can be. And then add giving up shortening (or at least Crisco) and not using cows milk (my grandmother used evaporated) and all that other stuff that goes with the south. In walks Cooking Lady and viola, experiment begins. This is as close to perfect as you can possible get. However, this are not super duper risers. But the taste stand alone. We got this recipe from her cookbook Paula Deen and Friends, Living it up Southern style. Some truly great recipes in there and some I cannot vegetize, but some I can and have. This woman is the poster child for the South. You either love her or cringe when you hear the 'Hey Ya'll' I find comfort in her, for she reminds me of my Nanny (grandmother on my mothers side, who was from Lyons Georgia). Take a few minutes and try these, you will not regret it.

2 cups all purpose flour (we used unbleached wheat flour), more for dusting your countertop
1 T baking powder
1 t salt
1 T sugar (we used raw)
1/3 cup vegetable oil (we used coconut oil)
2/3 cup whole milk (we used almond milk)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
1) Preheat the oven to 450 degrees. Spray a cookie sheet with vegetable oil cooking spray (we used coconut oil with a pastry brush).

2) Place the flour, baking powder, salt, sugar, in a food processor. Pulse 4 times to combine the dry ingredients. Add the shortening and process until the shortening is completely incorporated. Add 1/3 cup of the milk and pulse 4 times. Add 1 T more milk and pulse 4 times. If the dough holds together, stop adding milk. If you need more, add a little more.

3) When the dough holds together, turn it our on to a floured board/countertop. Roll or pat out about 1/4 inch thick. Cut out biscuit with a 1 & 1/2 or 2 inch cutter (I used a glass in my cabinet). Place the biscuits on the prepared cookie sheet and bake for 8 minutes. Let cool on wire racks. (We did not need to cool these puppies, for they were gobbled up straight away and so will they in your home.

No comments: