Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Stephanie's Asteroids

I was looking for a new recipe for work. Since I cook at my new job at Nutrition S'Mart, our local health food store, I am always making one main dish, or side dish, and always have a dessert of some sort. But this week I was bamboozled as to to make for the dessert end of the dishes. I try to make something that is easy, quick, tasty and what people can recognize. Who wants a recipe with 18 ingredients, that they will only use once. So I go for the stick to your ribs kind of meals...dessert included.

With that said, please hold on to your hats, for this dish is simple stupid. Even my bachelors can make this. And want to know that kicker? You know you want to know. There is NO BAKING involved. You got it. All you have to do is melt down some ingredients and Viola! Dang it's good to be me.

I got this recipe form Sarah Kramers La Dolce Vegan book. My kids got this for me for Christmas last year. I had cracked the book but had not really gone through it. Big mistake on my part. This is a very eclectic book of recipes she has collected from friends and readers. How cool is that? Try these and tweak them where needed, I know I do.

1&1/2 cups quick oats (we used rolled oats)
1 t ground cinnamon
2 T shredded coconut, unsweetened
1 cup sugar (I would go 3/4 next time)
1/4 cup peanut butter (or other nut butter)
1/4 cup milk (can use soy, rice or almond)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
In a medium bowl, combine the oatmeal, cinnamon and coconut and set aside. In a small pot on medium heat, heat the sugar, peanut butter, and milk until soft and smooth, stirring often to avoid burning. Pour peanut sauce into oats and stir until well blended. Form mixture into balls on a plate or cookie sheet. Refrigerate for at least one hour before serving. Makes 8 large or 16 small Asteroids.

These are so yummy and with a taste that brings you back to your childhood of homemade peanut butter cookies, minus the heat of the oven. Make them, you will thank me in the morning.

No comments: