Monday, August 2, 2010

Supposed To Be Poppyseed Muffins

I swear I had poppy seeds in my pantry, but low and behold...I did not. So, these muffins turned into raisin muffins. But they turned out great all the same. Just no blinking poppy seeds. Pffft!

I needed a pick me up, for we had not made any new recipes in quite a while, but I found this one in the first vegetarian book that was ever given to me. The New Laurel's Kitchen. That was back in 1992. Stop counting!

This is one of those comfort books that you find on your Nanny's bookshelf after she has passed away and you find out this is where she kept all her tried and true recipes. this is a book that can be handed down form generation to generation. I love this book. Now, on to the recipe.

1/2 cup raisins
1/4 cup boiling water
2&3/4 cups rolled oats (about)
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
2&1/2 t baking soda
1/2 t salt
1/4 t nutmeg
2 eggs (I used applesauce)
2T oil or butter (I used coconut oil)
1/4 cup honey(I used honey...that was meant to be funny)
1 cup milk (we used almond)
2 T poppy seeds (WE HAD NONE)
2 t grated lemon zest (we had dried so we cut it to 1 t)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Grease a 12-cup muffin pan. (We used our jumbo tin so we made 6 instead of 12)
Soak raisins 5 minutes in 1/4 cup boiling water. Chop coarsely in a blender or by hand. ( left them whole.
Make the oats into a coarse flour in a blender or food processor(if using a blender, do it 1/2 at a time). You will need 2 cups of coarse flour.
Put oat flour in bowl and sift in the other dry ingredients. Beat eggs, oil, and honey together, then stir in the milk, raisins and water, poppy seeds, and lemon zest.
Add dry ingredients to liquid ones, stirring just enough to mix well. Spoon into muffin pans and bake for about 15 minutes.(my oven was 18 minutes) The muffins will be a sunny yellow (mine were not) on top and a delicate brown on the bottom when done.

These were great, even without the poppy seeds. But they just went on the list for next week.

No comments: