Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Crock Pot Baked Beans

I had this recipe sent to me via a reader from Vegetarian Times. And I have never used this recipe until this past week. I feel ashamed for not having used it earlier. But alas, I did and it was a success. I hope you enjoy this recipe. Me and my daughter love baked beans and we were hoping to find a good homemade recipe and we had this one sitting in out midst.


2 pounds Great Northern or Navy Bean (Navy Bean is the traditional bean used in most canned baked beans)
1/2-1/3 maple syrup or molasses, or a combination of both
1 medium onion chopped into bite-sized pieces
Dash of salt
2t dry mustard
1/4t liquid smoke
1/4t cumin
1/4 t fresh ground pepper
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I pressured cooked the beans first, for these types of beans are quite tough to cook without some sort of softening. I pressured them for 30 minutes. Do not go with less time, they need that much.

When beans are cooked, put them into your slowcooker and add remaining ingredients. Add the bean liquid as well. If you portioned your water when you pressured them, it should be the perfect amount, but if you do not pressure a lot of food, this can be a bit tricky until you get more comfortable with pressure cooking. I don't like being without mine.

We slowcooked our beans for about 3-4 hours on high and they were delicious, but the next day...Oh-My-Stars. It was like chili and spaghetti sauce, it is so much better the next day. So please try this one, it is worth its weight in gold!

8 comments:

Denise Punger MD IBCLC said...

What's liquid smoke? Where did you get it? This recipe is appealing b/c I can use maple and there will be no cane sugar. (molasses is cane)

The Cooking Lady said...

You can purchase liquid smoke at Publix or most grocery stores. It would be in the dressing aisles. I would look first near the BBQ sauces, but if you cannot find it, then ask, for it is there. You may need to grab a manager, for if it is a stock person who does not normally work that aisle, they may not have a clue what you are talking about.

Tara B. said...

OOOHHH!! I can't wait to try this!! I LOVE baked beans but have not found a recipe for homemade vegetarian ones I actually like. I still eat the Bush's canned vegetarian, but hopefully that will change now. I will try this later this week and let you know what I think!

Tammie said...

OH I have been looking for a good baked bean recipe without bacon! I will have to give this a try! I"m thinkin' I need to look into getting a pressure cooker too!

Thanks a bunch!

Denise Punger MD IBCLC said...

My mother and I tried this recipe. We noticed there was nothing to make the beans dark colored. So we added tomato paste. We also added garlic. Still we agreed there was not enough taste. (Sorry). We had left overs and I had it the next day. I am eager to have a healthy bake bean recipe, if I try it again, I would double the amount of maple, garlic, tomato paste, smoke, and maybe the other spices.

The Cooking Lady said...

Permisison: Our beasn were dark, just like the canned ones. Maybe because we added the molasses?

But we would make these again and not alter the recipe. Hope your tweaking works!!!

Denise Punger MD IBCLC said...

Red,
We used the exact beans you specified. Both dried Great Northern and Navy Beans were white right out of the sealed package. Please tell me more about the dark beans.

I was wondering if molasses and maple were really equivelent substitutions.

I really look forward to any insight you or another blogger has on this, because there is so much potential in this recipe.

Remember, I haven't been cooking very long, there may be lots of things thaat are understood between cooks, that I haven't figured out yet.

Denise Punger MD IBCLC said...

The good news is.... is that the bake bean recipe works and the boys liked it. I haven't used molasses. I did double most of the spices though. The white beans did turn dark. (I was thinking that you started with dark beans.)

E-mail me privately and I'll tell you what the problem was.