Saturday, August 23, 2008

Mexican Cornbread

I am from the South, so me and cornbread are like Lewis and Martin, Abbot and Costello, you get my drift. But my husband and daughter love spicy food, and I mean hot spicy. I can take a shake or two of hot sauce, or a few pepper flakes for some heat, but they smother their food in this stuff, and I am talking mashed potatoes. I mean come on, what happened to gravy? I have a veggie alternative. But my daughter found this one form Paula Deen and man is it great. So break out your corn meal and get cooking ladies...or men.

1 cup cornmeal
1 cup all purpose flour (We grind our own)
2T sugar(We use no refined sugar, so we use raw or turbinado)
4t baking powder
1/2 t salt
1 large egg
1 cup whole milk or buttermilk(Vegetarians, do your thing)
1/3 cup sour cream(I have substituted yogurt when we are out)
1/4 vegetable oil
2T chopped jalapenos(Optional for sissies)
Preheat oven to 425
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Grease an 8-inch square pan, cast iron skillet, or cornbread mold. I use what is on hand. Ina medium bowl, combine cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. To dry mixture, add egg, milk, sour cream, oil and jalapenos and mix until smooth. Pour into prepared pan(We line ours with butter). Bake for 20-25 minutes or until golden.

No comments: