Friday, November 14, 2008

Traditional Whole Wheat Bread

For those of you who bake or don't, Sue Gregg is thee end all and be all in bread baking and bread knowledge. Do we really know what goes in in our bread is we are kneading or letting it rise. And how did we go from a wheat kernel and get to Wonder Bread. I have a few of her binder books, but am looking into getting thee entire set. Give her a glance, she knows her bread. We do not have a mixer, so we are still kneading by hand. Would I like a mixer? Yes and no. I love the fact that me and one of my children gets to stand across the counter from one another and talk for about 25 minutes. For that is how long we have to actually knead the dough.

It is a family experience. When I was unable to do help in the bread making process, my Youtubing, Playstationing son stepped up to the plate and helped out Savanah. Thank to those two, we had bread during my entire recovery. We double batch and freeze what we are not presently eating. But this recipe that I am posting is 2 regular sized loafs. If you are looking to learn to make your own bread it is not that easy. But I do recommend as you get more serious, is to get bread pans, they have made my bread look like it does in the magazines. Well worth thee investment. I am not necessarily promoting this company, but if you look at the bread pan closely, you will see a dimpled surface on the inside of the pan. That is what you are looking for. So on your next trip to Bed, Bath and Beyond, take a gander down the baking aisle and see what you can see.

1. Proof yeast: Dissolve yeast with honey in water in a glass measuring cup; let stand for 5-10 minutes until it bubbles up;
1/4 lukewarm water (100-115 degrees--warm to wrist)
1 T honey (or other sweetener)
1 T ( 1 package) active dry yeast

2. Blend in mixing bowl (I use metal bowls, but use what you have) in order given:
2&1/4 cups hot water (120-125 degrees)
2 t salt
1/3 cup oil (olive oil preferred)
1/3 cup honey (or other sweetener)
3 cups whole wheat flour
**If you use the same measuring cup for the oil, then the honey behind it will not stick, for thee oil has already lubricated the cup**

3. Blend in yeast ; mixing in remaining flour while easy to stir; then turn dough out on a floured surface to knead in rest of flour as needed to prevent sticking:
proofed yeast (step #1)
3-3&1/2 cups whole wheat flour

4. Knead until smooth and elastic, and resistant.

5. Place dough in lightly oiled bowl (I use the same one I mixed in, just clean it out first), oil top of dough slightly, cover with a clean cloth and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1-1 & 1/2 hours. (Stay away from drafts, it makes a difference)

6. Gently punch down in center; knead lightly

7. Shape, (place in loaf pans) let rise, bake, and cool according to recipe (cool on wire rack. Do not let bread sit in pan, it will sweat and make bread mushy) used for bread rolls, or pizza crust.

This is a tried and true recipe and we love it. If you have any questions do not hesitate to ask.

1 comment:

River (Wing-It Vegan) said...

I knead my dough by hand too, it's a lot of work but my forearms get a great workout! :)
Thanks for the recipe, I love my carbs!