Sunday, March 29, 2009

Middle Eastern Rice With Lentils

It's either feast or famine with me. Two new dishes in as many days. This one is an odd dish, and only because we, as Americans would not combine these spices or flavors, but in the Mediterranean, they do it all the time. This dish is a tweaker, which means we need to play with it. But I liked it, and I myself am not use to this combination of spices and definitely would not try it on guests until I mastered it.

So get outside of your cooking boxes and give this one a try.

1/2 medium onion, chopped
1 T vegetable oil (We used canola)
1 cup uncooked brown rice
1 T tomato paste
2&1/2 cups of water
1/4 t ground cinnamon
1/4 cup dry lentils
1 t salt
1/2 cup raisins
1/2 cup pine nuts, toasted (We did not have these, but make sure you have them, Savanah and I think this was the part that would have truly sent this dish over the edge...in a good way)
Additional water if needed
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
In a large saucepan, cook thee onion in oil, stirring until soft, over medium heat. Add the rice and stir, for several minutes. Combine the tomato paste with the water and cinnamon. Add to the rice along with the lentils. Bring to a boil, cover and lower the heat. Simmer for 3o minutes.

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Stir the salt, raisins and pine nuts into the rice mixture. The mixture should be a little watery; add 1/4 cup if it is dry. Place the mixture in a greased 2&1/2 quart baking dish. Cover and bake for 20-30 minutes.

The times on all of this dish were dead on, at least for our stove and oven they were. Make this and open your palette to new flavors.

1 comment:

Tara B. said...

I love lentils and I love rice, this looks a little different than any way I've ever made either. I will have to give it a try when my guys go camping(they don't like lentils much)