Sunday, March 29, 2009

Tofu With Key West Barbecue Sauce

This is s lovely gem from my new Vegetarian Times Cookbook. Some things are the simplest finds. this has turned out to be a real god-send. But, on to the recipe. I have always wanted to know what to do with tofu. It is one of the first questions I am asked after, "What do you eat", or, "How do you get your protein?" But I just don't have enough recipes to try out, and I would hate to waste an entire block of tofu if I did not like the dish. But in this instance, that was not the case. This was great from the get go. There is a BBQ sauce that comes with the recipe and I will post it as soon as I am finished with this one.

You can use this BBQ sauce on anything your little heart desires. It has a little bite, but not too much that you could not serve it to woosies...I mean wimps...I mean those with delicate tongues. So go grab your blocks of tofu and spark up the frying pan.

1 pound extra firm tofu (Extra firm is a must on this one)
2 T unbleached white flour
2 T corn meal
1&1/2 t poultry seasoning (We all know there is no poultry in this)
2 t nutritional yeast ( got to love the crunch this gives things)
1/2 t salt (It says optional, I didn't know salt was an option)
1/4 t ground pepper
2 t prepared mustard (We used plain ole yellow mustard, but will experiment with others next time)
4 T canola oil or peanut (We used canola)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Cut tofu on the short end into 1/4 inch slices. Drain on a dish cloth for 30 minutes (Beats the heck out of pressing it). On a plate (I used a plate bowl. If you have one you know what I am talking about), mix together the flour, cornmeal poultry seasoning, nutritional yeast, salt and pepper. Brush the drained tofu on both sides with mustard, then roll (more like dredge) in the cornmeal mixture. Set aside.

Heat 1 T oil in a heavy skillet (A heavy skillet is s must on this one, if not the possibility of burning is much greater) over a medium heat. Carefully place four slices of tofu in the skillet, without crowding, and cook, flipping once they are golden brown. Drain on paper towels. Keep warm in a slow oven while you cook the remaining tofu in the remaining oil. (We only used 2 T of oil). And there was no need for a slow oven. This dish went right to the table and was gobbled up.

P.S. Sauce in the next post.

No comments: