Thursday, July 3, 2008

Nanny's Hush Puppies

Nanny was my grandmother, and was a spitfire. She was a difficult but loving woman. She was ahead of her time and was a woman who stood out in a crowd and stood up for what she believed in and if you didn't like it, then 'Hit the Road Jack.' She taught me most of what I know about Southern Cooking. She was born and raised in Georgia, so she had no clue what low-fat was. It was bacon drippings or nothing at all. Over the years I have learned to health-ify(It's a word now, cuz I made it so)her recipes, but some of them you just have to eat as they were intended. I hope you enjoy this one.

1 cup cornmeal
1/2 cup flour
1/2 medium onion, minced
1 egg
A pinch of baking powder
1 small can of tomato paste
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Mix all ingredients until a sticky paste/batter. Heat frying pan with about 2 inches of grease, or you can use a deep fryer. Spoon golf ball sized drops into grease and turn until golden brown.

No comments: