Sunday, May 3, 2009

Brownies-A-Vegan

EDIT IN: I forgot to add maple syrup, it is now one of thee ingredients.

Little Debbie, eat your heart out. And yes, I openly admit to having ate Little Debbie Brownies in the day. But no more. I had a sweet tooth and would much prefer our homemade sweets in comparison to those bought in the store. I know all of my ingredients and can pronounce them. Those form the store, you cannot. Now, sit down before you read this next sentence...no, I mean it, sit down. I Don't Like Chocolate! Stop throwing stuff at the monitor. It's true, I much prefer a carrot cake or cheesecake over chocolate. With that said though I have to admit that I do LOVE brownies. But that had better be a slap up great recipe or hang it up sister.

Well the perfect brownie has just landed in my mout...I mean lap and you are not going to believe the ease and deliciousness of this dessert. I had pulled out my recipe books and first looked at Vegetarian Times. But their recipe had 2 cups of sugar. And even thought I use raw sugar or agave, 2 cups seemed a bit too sweet for my taste buds. In comes How it all Vegan. Yeah yeah, another dish from that book.

What you have to remember, is that I try to make recipies that do not call for weird ingredients, unless I absolutely feel they are a vital part of the dish. So enough babbling, let's see this recipe and then run to make them and hope beyond all hope that there is enough for your mans lunch-box the next day.

1&1/3 cup flour (we used unbleached)
1/3 cup cocoa
1&1/2 t baking powder
1/2 t salt
3/4 cup maple syrup
1/4 cup apple juice or water (we used water)
1/3 cup oil (we used canola, until it is finished then we will buy it no more)
2 t vanilla extract
1/2 cups walnut, chopped (we used about 3/4 cup)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Preheat oven to 350 F. In a large bowl sift together the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt. Add the maple syrup, juice(or water)m oil, vanilla and walnuts and mix together gently until 'just mixed.' Spoon into a lightly oiled 8 x 8 pan and bake for 25-30 minutes, Test with a knife to see if done. Makes 6 large brownies.

WOW!, is all I can say. Not to sweet and yet it could please the toughest critic. Go now and make these little gems, you can call me in the morning after you have eaten thee entire pan to ask for forgiveness, which of course I will not bestow upon you for I will be yelling at you as to why you did not invite me over to devour the pan with you.

No comments: