Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Oven - Crisp Tofu Sticks

I am beginning to experiment with tofu these days. And so far so good. But I know so many folks would not even try the stuff. their loss in my opinion. Is it exactly like meat? No, but I am OK with that. It has its own distinct quality and an animal did not have to give its life for my meal. But before I start sounding preachy, let me just say this this dish is do-able for sure. Try it and see what you think.

24 ounces firm or extra-firm tofu (water-packed, not aseptic or silken) drained
1/3 cup fine cracker crumbs ( we used flour instead)
2 T cornmeal
1&1/2 T salt free seasoning (We used Paula Deen's House Seasoning, homemade of course)
1/2 t ground chipotle or chili powder (I used 1/4 t)
1/4 salt
Olive oil cooking spray or mesquite oil cooking spray
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Drain tofu and wrap in paper towel for 10-15 minutes. Preheat oven to 375 F. In a shallow bowl, mix together the cracker crumbs, cornmeal, seasoning, chipotle or chili powder and salt. Set aside. Spray a large wire cooling rack with oil. Cut each block of tofu into 12 sticks about 3 inches long and 3/4 inch thick. Dredge each stick in the crumb mixture and place the sticks on the wire rack. Spray them with oil. Bake until crisp and brown, about 35-45 minutes. Serve the tofu sticks warm with ketchup sauce (recipe coming soon) drizzled on the top or served on the side.

Thee only thing I did differently and would next time follow the recipie with is the way I cooked it. I put my tofu in a baking dish, so it did not get crispy and crunch. Tasted great all the same, but would follow the directions to the letter next time. Great dish and will make it again for sure.

We can thank Vegetarian Times Complete Cookbook for this one. Good times.

No comments: