Saturday, May 2, 2009

Marinara Sauce

Savanah usually makes our marinara sauce, but last week she was very sick with sinus'. So mom to the rescue. Truthfully, I almost forgot how to make this simple dish.But I dove in with a vengeance vowing to make up for lost time.

I had the staples on hand and went right to work. But added soemthing I usually despise...mushrooms. And just today I kicked it up a notch and added carrots. The last time I made the sauce, my son had no idea I had added mushrooms, and today he will have no idea I have added carrots. Now, on to the recipe.

3-4 T olive oil
1 medium onion pureed in food processor
1/4 green pepper pureed in food processor
3-4 cloves garlic pureed in food processor
6-8 medium button mushrooms, stem removed, pureed in food processor
1/4-1/3 cup carrot pulp
1-2 t oregano
1/2 cup meat crumbles
Salt and pepper to taste
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Heat oil in skillet. Add pureed onion, green pepper, garlic, mushrooms and lastly carrots. Stir until everything is well coated and warmed through. Add oregano, meat crumbles and salt and pepper. Once everything is combined, transfer to a crock pot.

At this point I add my favorite tomato base sauce. Everyone's is different. So do yours the way you like it and slow cook until ready for dinner. Mine will be cooking for about 4 hours. Enjoy.

1 comment:

Denise Punger MD IBCLC said...

I might even be able my mushrooms grounded fine like you did. My mother used to do this with stuffing... as long as I didn't have to recognize it.