Sunday, May 3, 2009

Pasta With Wine Sauce

Don't hate me because I can cook. Be my friend and I can invite you over for dinner. And for the record, I am going to marry Matt but since I have already asked Chuck to marry me, that may be a problem. My husband can find his way around a kitchen, but he cooks to put food on the table, where as Savanah and I cook because we love what we do.

I have been on a roll today. This is the third dish I have made today and there is a fourth one in the slow cooker, but I may blog about that tomorrow. I think I have given you all enough to read for one day. This dish is a great pasta dish and oh so simple. For those who may not want to use wine for whatever reason, remember the alcohol content evaporates so you are safe, and if that is not enough for you, you can always purchase the non-alcoholic version. So grab a bottle and start cooking.




My Veggie Kitchen: "1/4 cup olive oil (don't skimp, really)
6 cloves garlic, whole, but crushed slightly
28 oz can diced tomatoes
1/2 cup dry red wine
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
2 tbs dried basil (or 1/4 to 1/2 cup fresh)
1/2 tsp dried oregano (or 1/2 tbs fresh)

Set a pot of water to boil for the pasta. While the water heats, heat the oil in a sauce pan. Add the garlic and cook over medium-high heat until the garlic browns. Press the garlic against the side of the pan and discard. Add the remaining ingredients and set the heat so it gently boils. Cook, stirring occasionally until the sauce has thickened and the pasta is ready. As you stir, break the diced tomatoes up with your wooden spoon. When the pasta water boils, toss the pasta with the sauce and serve."

The only thing I would do differently is to let the sauce and pasta cook a wee bit as to let the sauce render down and then I am good to go.

No comments: