Thursday, September 18, 2008

You Say Potato I Say...

My daughter has experimented recently with roasted veggies. She did a very green version, which consisted of celery, green peppers, carrots, potatoes, and onions. I love all of these vegetables I love...I swear, but not roasted. OK, get this. I did not eat them after I tried them. And this was not even a dish that could be tweaked. As far as I was concerned, it needed to be trashed.

And yet I knew our roasting days were not over. I watch enough Food Network and read enough blogs to know we could prevail. Well tonight was out night. I had bulk cooked black beans yesterday, so all they needed today was whatever spice I so chose, I went Cuban style. My daughter made a improv version of green bean almondine(sp?)...minus the almonds and then there was our roasted vegetables. DUN DUN DUN *Insert hokey TV drama music*

Well, if any of you fellow bloggers ever come for dinner, I am slap up going to serve you roasted vegetables. We nailed. I was helping my daughter some of her online highschool courses and I was also surfing food blogs, and low and behold(I say that a lot don't I) I found a recipe for roasted vegetables. But could I find it at dinner time? NO!. But we winged it, and let me tell you I went for seconds but could not finish them and had to put them back, but as my daughter was putting the vegetables away I snagged a few crispy potatoes, so much for being full.

I feel like River now, but here goes.

5-6 potatoes, roughly chopped but small enough to cook quickly
4 carrots peeled and again, roughly chopped(I did this pretty diagonal thingy)
1 onion quartered(This went in the last 10-15 minutes
Olive oil to coat veggies
Paula Deens House seasoning(1 cup salt, 1/4 cup pepper, 1/4 cup garlic powder) Not all on the veggies at the same time. Use the seasoning at your discretion. I truthfully love the stuff and if I ever meet Paula, I will hug her for that alone.

Cook your veggies in a 400 degree oven for 45 minutes, remember to put the onion in the last 10-15. Life is good when you eat roasted veggies.

I had them tonight for dinner and you didn't. Nani nani boo boo! *Does the nani nani boo boo dance*

1 comment:

River (Wing-It Vegan) said...

Mmmm roasted veggies, that sounds so good! Don't the best recipes come from winging it! ;)