Thursday, September 4, 2008

Pressure Cooking or Crock Potting

Is Crock Potting even a word? But I guess most of you knew exactly what I was referring to, so that by law of cooks united...makes it a word.

I was wondering which you ladies...or men prefer. I grew up on both. My mother knew how to work with both, but in my honest opinion she did not utilize either one of them half enough. I use both my Slow Cooker and pressure cooker at least once a week. My mother-in-law uses her pressure cooker all the time. To her it is second nature. So when I married my husband, I watched and learned how to better use this scary kitchen tool. They are both my friends.

But, do I have a preference? Well yes, I do...I'm glad you asked. My personal preference is my Slow Cooker. Do not get me wrong, I love my pressure cooker and they soften up a mess of greens like nothing else I have ever seen. But oh my Slow Cooker. It's like that Ronco commercial, "Just set it, and forget it."

But there are a few things that do not do well in the Slow Cooker, unless prepped. Such as Chick peas, garbanzo beans. Them puppies are so hard to crack, if they are not pre-soaked, they take days in the Slow Cooker, and then they taste like ka-ka...trust me, I know this from experience.

So just remember, if you have a tough cooking bean, then pre-soak before subjecting them to the slow cooker. You will thank me in the morning.

Pressure cooking is near and dear to my heart, but slow cooking is the way to go for me. So fess up folks, where does you food rest?

No comments: